March 29, 2016
Fixed Term Contract
(10 hours per week – 6 month contract) Salary is €12 per hour.
Headline is Ireland’s national media monitoring programme, working to promote responsible and accurate coverage of mental health and suicide related issues within the Irish media.
Headline works with journalists, including the National Union of Irish Journalists, and media students to find ways to collaborate to ensure that suicide, mental health, and mental illness are responsibly covered in the media. Headline offers workshops, information sessions, literature, and daily analysis of news stories.
Headline has been set up by Shine and the Health Service Executive's National Office for Suicide Prevention as part of Reach Out National Strategy for Action on Suicide Prevention and the current Suicide Prevention strategy Connecting for Life.
Title of the Position:
Purpose of the Position:
To assist the implementation of the aims and objectives of Headline while gaining valuable work experience and high level professional exposure to the mental health and suicide prevention voluntary and statutory sectors. Specifically, the News Researcher will assist the Headline team with the analysis and collation of Irish media articles related to mental health and suicide prevention, Media correspondence, General office work.
The Media assistant will report to Headline’s Media Project Coordinator.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Reviewing and analysing daily news articles on mental health and suicide related topics
- Assessing the adherence of articles to the existing media guidelines
- Inputting data on articles into a computerised database
- Maintaining news stories archives, databases and records
- Assisting in researching project issues
- Letter writing and Report writing
- Proof reading and copy writing
- General administrative tasks as required
- Event management – assistant level
- Press release creation
- Social media
- Creation of news letters
The successful candidate should have or be studying for a third level qualification in journalism, media or communications – or a related discipline.
- Have an interest in journalism/media/communications
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral
- Experience of analytical and administrative work
- Knowledge of and proficiency in computer technology
- Be driven, reliable and organised
- Have an interest in mental health, including suicide prevention
- Social media
Desired but not essential:
- Experience with report writing
- Experience with Analysis or research
- Website content management
- Public speaking
- Ability to work on own initiative
- Ability to communicate effectively
- Ability to work within a team and follow direction
Location of the post:
The successful candidate will work from Headline’s office, which is located at Maynooth Business Campus, Maynooth, Co. Kildare.
CONDITIONS OF APPOINTMENT:
Send 2 Copies of your completed Application Form available to download here to:
Ref: MA Headline
Ms Hazel Whelan
SHINE – Supporting Peo
ple Affected by Mental Ill Health
38 Blessington Street
Email applications will not be accepted.
No later than 4pm on Friday 8th April 2016
NOTE: Due to the anticipated large number of applicants, we will not be in a position to reply to unsuccessful candidates. However we do appreciate the time and effort you have taken to apply for the post on offer.