January 29, 2009
Schizophrenia Ireland Changes Name to:
Shine-Supporting People Affected by Mental Ill Health
New Name Reflects a Positive and Inclusive Image
Schizophrenia Ireland has announced today that it has changed its name to Shine – Supporting People Affected by Mental Ill Health.
Since 2005, the organisation has been conducting an ongoing internal review of its structure, image and performance. One of the conclusions of that review was that the organisation needed to refresh its public image in order to ensure that it is as responsive as possible to the needs of the people it serves.
According to John Saunders, Director of Shine, "in arriving at the decision to change to a new operating title, we wanted a new name that would be positive, inclusive and non stigmatising. We also wanted to encourage people to focus on their experiences, and the potential for recovery. Changing the organisation's name is a big step in reflecting this. "
With effect from the 1st February 2009, Shine's new website can be accessed at www.shineonline.ie. The organisation will continue its same activities:
- To promote the development of parallel self help groups for people with psychosis and enduring mental illness and their family members and carers.
- To empower people with psychosis and enduring mental illness and their family members and carers through support, individual advocacy, information and education.
- To promote the right of all those affected by psychosis and enduring mental illness to person centred and appropriate services, which will support the process and goal of recovery.
- To engage in public awareness activities aimed at challenging discrimination and stigma, and advocating for the rights and needs of all those affected by psychosis and enduring mental illness.
- To campaign on behalf of all those affected by enduring mental illness to influence policy changes in the provision of mental healthcare services.
For further information, please contact:
John Saunders, Director, Shine – Supporting People Affected by Mental Ill Health
Mobile: 0879271292; Tel: 01 860 1620
Information Helpline: 1890 621 631