May 5, 2015
(10 hours per week June 2015 – February 2016 – 9 month contract with optional extension)
Headline is Ireland’s national media monitoring programme, working to promote responsible and accurate coverage of mental health and suicide related issues within the Irish media.
Headline works with journalists, including the National Union of Irish Journalists, and media students to find ways to collaborate to ensure that suicide, mental health, and mental illness are responsibly covered in the media. Headline offers workshops, information sessions, literature, and daily analysis of news stories.
Headline has been set up by the Health Service Executive's National Office for Suicide Prevention as part of Reach Out National Strategy for Action on Suicide Prevention. Headline is managed by Shine. More info www.Headline.ie and www.shineonline.ie
Title of the Position:
Purpose of the Position:
To assist the implementation of the aims and objectives of Headline while gaining valuable work experience and high level professional exposure to the mental health and suicide prevention voluntary and statutory sectors. Specifically, the Media Assistant will assist the Headline team with the analysis and collation of Irish media articles related to mental health and suicide prevention, Media correspondence, General office work.
The Media assistant will report to Headline’s Media Project Coordinator.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Reviewing and analysing daily news articles on mental health and suicide related topics
- Assessing the adherence of articles to the existing media guidelines
- Inputting data on articles into a computerised database
- Maintaining news stories archives, databases and records
- Assisting in researching project issues
- Letter writing
- Proof reading and copy writing
- General administrative tasks as required
- Report writing
- Event management – assistant level
- Press release creation
- Social media
- Creation of news letters
The successful candidate should have or be studying for a third level qualification in journalism, media or communications – or a related discipline.
- Have an interest in journalism/media/communications
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral
- Experience of analytical and administrative work
- Knowledge of and proficiency in computer technology
- Be driven, reliable and organised
- Have an interest in mental health, including suicide prevention
- Social media
Desired but not essential:
- Experience with report writing
- Experience with Analysis or research
- Website content management
- Public speaking
- Ability to work on own initiative
- Ability to communicate effectively
- Ability to work within a team and follow direction
- Presentable appearance
Location of the post:
The successful candidate will work from Headline’s office, which is located at 38 Blessington Street, Dublin 7.
Conditions of the post:
10 hours per week.
Headline operates a time in lieu and annual leave system.
Salary is €12 per hour.
This is a fixed term, fixed purpose position from June 2015 – February 2016 – 9 month contract with optional extension.
To apply for the position, please download an application form from http://shineonline.ie/index.php/vacancies complete the application form and return it by post with your CV to:
Media Project Coordinator
38 Blessington Street,
Deadline for receipt of applications: Wednesday 5pm 20th May 2015
Please mark envelope “Ref. MA attention Jane Arigho”
All applications must be returned by post.